new eyes - for [single] player is an audio-visual performance for two projectors, one HUD (Heads Up Display), haze\smoke, and one performer.
The work seeks to invert the relationship between player and instrument. The instrument does not require the player for it is fully automated. Each move or intervention by the player is an expression of their agency within the system.
During the development of the piece, I have come to think about the player's role as managing the output of light and sound (through time) to a human scale. Each player has different "play styles," and I feel this is an insight into their own interests and tolerances.
Each performance will be different and everything is generated in real-time. Our goal has been to allow player, computer, and “composer” agency to act on one another while retaining a clear identity for the work.
- Generations of BC Composers, November 18, 2017
- Banff Centre ARC Showings, August 4-6, 2017
- Many Visions of Many Cosmos, June 17-18, 2017 (Premiere), Hong Kong
- FUSE: This is Now. (Vancouver Art Gallery), April 15, 2016 (An In-Progress Showing)
- Western Front Gala + Art Auction, February 27th, 2016 (An In-Progress Showing)
This work is supported by the Canada Council for the Arts. Commissioned by Hong Kong Contemporary Musiking.